June 7, 2014

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Tumnus.


Okay, my name isn’t Tumnus, but I couldn’t help myself. My name is Catherine. I am a self-proclaimed book nerd, which is why I decided to embark on this journey called a blog. Before I begin telling you about books and how much I love them, let me tell you a little bit about why I love to read.

My mother taught me how to read at the ripe young age of four years old. Once she showed me that words can tell a story, I was hooked. I have had a book in my hand ever since. The books that have carried me through so many seasons of life have ranged from Nancy Drew to Narnia to Eragon, and practically everything in between. Over the years I have been transported to many new worlds and have met many new friends. Many would classify me as a Class A introvert, but I tend to think of myself as an international, interdimensional time traveler.

Through these magical portals I have visited Terabithia, Narnia, Alagaesia, and so many other new and exciting worlds. Within these worlds, I have learned so many lessons. While in Narnia I learned to believe in what seems impossible, in the unseen; have the courage to find the queen within me; and friendships are found in unexpected places. Terabithia taught me that it is okay to use your imagination and to be unique. Nancy showed me that giving up is never an option. These lessons and more have been ingrained in me because of my love for reading.

While I have read many books that are considered classics, such as The Hobbit, Treasure Island, and Sherlock Holmes, I have enjoyed still more that should be considered classics. These titles include The Little White Horse, The Storyteller’s Daughter, and Room in the Heart, just to name a few. My mother didn’t place a high priority on me reading the greats of literature. She believes, and I share this belief, that a child who reads books that they choose, and are not chosen for them, will have a greater love for reading than a child whose books are chosen for them. So instead of assigning books for me to wade through, she simply suggested titles that she loves and took me to the library to choose for myself what my reading material should be.

I could go on and on about why I love reading and why I think everyone should read. I don’t want to bore you too much, so I won’t keep going. In future posts I hope to share more with you about my love for literature, suggest new titles and why I think they should be read by everyone, and my general opinion about books.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment