April 18, 2015

The Last Goodbye

Hello readers.

Last time I posted, I told you that I was about to embark on a final journey in my favorite story world. Well, I did, and let me tell you my face was not as dry when I finished as when I started. To say the very least, it was a beautiful, emotional journey that took me places I never thought I would go, experience things I have never experienced before, and said goodbyes I hoped I would never have to say. And yet, I did. In my last post I gave you a little bit of history about the story world, and my emotional attachment, at least the best I could describe it in words on a screen. In a nutshell, saying this last goodbye was as hard as I thought it would be. Some of you may have already guessed at the inspiration for the title of this post. If you haven't then click on the link I will give and you will see what I am talking about. This song ran through my head as I was thinking about writing this post and saying one Last Goodbye to the characters and story world I have grown to love. So get comfortable, grab a tissue if you are the sympathetic type, and prepare for an emotional venting.

Omega Dragon is the name of this book, the book to end all books (okay, that's a little melodramatic, but work with me here ;-) ). As you can probably tell from the title, this story is truly the end of the story world as I and many other readers have known it for the past decade. The book before this one, The Seventh Door, as I mentioned in my last post, brought all of the characters to the beginning of the climax, the beginning of the end. One was literally at death's door, another was waiting to be regenerated into a new body, still others were making the journey to find their loved ones and save those who could not defend themselves.

From the first page of Omega Dragon (I'll call it Omega for short) I was taken on a whirlwind adventure following these characters who I have come to call friends, following them on their journey to save the world and those who are precious to them. As I have come to expect from these characters, there was a tremendous amount of sacrifice, both of blood and happiness, in order to save innocents. Some of these sacrifices were shocking and unexpected, even though there were hints throughout the book pointing the astute reader toward the inevitable. One in particular moved me to shed more than a few tears; I had rooted for and supported (as well as I could) the characters involved in this sacrifice, this giving up of life, since the first time I read their names on the page. Even here at the end, I met new friends and watched them sacrifice themselves for people they knew only for a few short hours. Their sacrifices moved me to see the beauty of selfless giving for those who cannot give of themselves.

I am still struggling to find the words to describe my feelings for this bittersweet ending. It seemed to move so quickly once the setting was established. I found myself losing sense of reality and allowing myself to be drawn into the world that I have come to know and love. I don't think you could have pulled me out of it very easily.

I would give a synopsis of the story, but I'm not quite sure how I would do that and not give spoilers at the same time. I think it goes without saying that the previous books have led up to this climactic battle waged literally between good and evil, Heaven and Hell. The events which took place within the pages of Omega had me in near shock as I tried to take it all in. All of the characters eventually find their way to the sight of this great battle, and to each other as well. I won't specify the names, but two of the bravest characters in this story world, with their fiery faith and loving hearts, put their strength together to help win the day for the forces of good. The ultimate weapon for the same side is finally revealed and swoops in just in time to win the battle. And the ending. Oh, the ending. There are not words enough to describe just how wonderful and beautiful it was. I'll venture to say that it was even more beautiful than the ending to the previous series, and if you know me that is saying something! Again, I'll try not to spoil the story for you. I can say that our characters are reunited with dearly departed loved ones and do not have to say goodbye anymore. All my friends are living in bliss, some more literally than others, and they are living their true happy ending. As a little bit of a spoiler, one of the couples in the story finally have one of their deepest desires fulfilled. I'll not say what it is exactly, but the two mentioned it in one of the earlier books. Another romance, that has been hinted at since the second book, is finally realized and is brought to fruition. Another is reunited with their life partner without fear of losing them again.

Overall, a very well written book and the perfect end to an amazing story. Oh the emotions I experienced while reading this! If only there were words to describe. I can say that I shed more tears while reading this one ending than I did any of the other eleven books. I'm still finding it hard to believe that it is actually over, done with, that I will not read a new line in that world again. That's a sobering thought by itself. But I cheer myself up by telling myself that it's not the complete end. I can still go back to the beginning and relive all the adventures. And I plan to do that as soon as I have the time.

Well, I suppose that wraps it up for now. I may come back and vent a little more emotion and thought on this book. I hope your interest in exploring a new series has been sparked. If so, then by all means go and find those books! If not, let me try again by telling you this joke about a fish who flopped up on a golf course one day...

If you have read the books, I want to know your thoughts and experiences! And to know just how many of us are out there ;-)

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment