February 15, 2016

A Turn of Light

Hello readers!

It has been a while since my last post! Wow! I haven't posted since last year ;-) (har har). The past few weeks have been a little hectic getting adjusted to no longer having the hustle and bustle of the Christmas season (sniff) and becoming resigned to the fact that I now have to face the coming winter with no color at all. Okay, that might be a little overdramatic, but that's just how I feel after leaving December behind!

Well, I did manage to escape a little of the dreariness by reading (what else?) I had found a book toward the end of fall semester that looked interesting and was not in a section I typically look in: Sci-Fi/Fantasy. I know, I know, you're probably thinking "but you've said you love fantasy, why do you not look in this section all the time?" Well, here's my answer: I typically find the authors that I like in the Christian Fiction section, through recommendations and loans by friends, browsing the teen fiction section (yes, I know it's not what you'd expect, but there are a few gems hidden among all the cheesy, eye-roll worthy romance novels), or a combination of all three. But, I was killing time in a bookstore (which shall remain nameless but I will say it shares names with two popular characters on screen for Marvel fans and Whovians) with my sweetheart, just browsing and not willing to end our night out before he took me home. And so I ended up in the Fantasy section of this bookstore. About a year ago, he had gotten me into Ender's Game, which is a good story. Well, I was looking to see if there were anymore books in that series on the shelf, along with Neil Gaiman, who has also written a book I am quite fond of as you can find out about in one of my earlier posts. On the same shelf unit, I spotted a title that looked rather interesting. So I picked it up and added it to the stack (I always carry around a stack that I end up placing back on the shelves because the practical side of me says that I can't have them, I don't like that side of me). Eventually, I chose this book over Neil Gaiman. Here is the title of the book that so intrigued me: A Turn of Light. Sound familiar? It should; it's the title of this post ;-)  So, I brought it home, let the boy borrow it since I was already in the middle of a book and finishing up the semester so I didn't need that kind of commitment. Eventually I got it back and was able to read this amazing story. So, let me see if I can sum it up in such a manner as to pique your interest as it did mine.

A Turn of Light
This book opens up with a girl of 18 sitting out in a meadow, talking with her invisible friend. The girl's name is Jenn, and her friend's name is Wisp. You know that everything is not as it seems by the end of the first chapter, with Wisp talking to his own friends. I won't reveal what was said, you'll have to read that for yourself ;-) But back to Jenn. She is just days away from her 19th birthday, the day on which she will be able to do what she wishes with her life, but the same day that her father wishes to see her settled down with a young man. All Jenn wants to do is to get out of Marrowdell and see the world. Only she can't, for two reasons, one which she knows all too well, and the other which she has no idea. The first is because her father and aunt want to see her marry a young man from Marrowdell and settle there where she grew up. After all, that's what any respectable young girl would do. The second reason, though, is far more dangerous. If Jenn were to leave Marrowdell, she would die and the entire world be thrown into chaos. Why would such a simple girl have such an effect on such a big place? For one simple fact: Jenn is turnborn which means she was born during a turn, or sunset in her world, at the very border between the world of Jenn Nalynn and the world of Wisp, who is not of her world. All of this Jenn is unaware of, running about Marrowdell like the country girl she is, full of dreams and hopes and wishes. Marrowdell itself is a special place. Being on the edge of two worlds, it holds magic and mystery unknown anywhere else in the world, but only those who know what to look for can recognize it. I won't go into detail about the magic, again you'll have to read about it for yourself, but that does bring in a good place to introduce two more characters who have big roles in the story.

Bannan Larmensu and his friend Tir are on their way north toward Marrowdell, bringing everything they need to start new lives. Bannan signed the settlers' pact, which allotted him land in the north wherever he wanted, and is searching for his destination. Tir is just being a loyal friend and former colleague and is tagging along to make sure his friend does not hurt himself. Why would this be a good place to introduce these two characters? Because Bannan is a truthseer, which means he can tell if someone is telling the truth and can also see things for what they truly are, even if they are cloaked by magic. Why is he significant to the the story? Because he eventually is able to see Marrowdell for what it truly is, a place of magic and danger, mystery and intrigue. But he decides to stay for many reasons, not the least of which is the lovely Jenn Nalynn. And so his part in this story sets itself up... or does it?

On to the story. This whole story is just one event after another. Yes, all stories are like this, but in this particular story, it seems, every small action is instrumental in setting up yet another event. Both Jenn and her sister Peggs are engaged, and the events surrounding those happenings are quite interesting. Jenn unwittingly uses true magic and sets the stage for a good part of the story. It isn't until a little past the middle of the book that she learns who she truly is and what she can do. But, I won't spoil it for you. You'll just have to read the book and find out for yourself ;-) I will say this about the ending of the book though, it does not end the way you think it might. At least, I didn't expect this ending.

So now time for my opinion of the book. Overall, it was a great read. I would definitely read it again, just when I actually have the time to focus on the book and not have to put it down every few pages. You know those books where a) you have to stay focused and not get distracted from it in order to really follow what is going on, and/or b) you have to put it down every few pages in order to stay sane because there is so much information at one time? This is that type of book, both a and b. Great story, I love the characters and their adventures. It just seemed to drag in places. It's definitely not for the casual reader, I'll give it that. But now that I've read it, I want to go back and read it once more and see what details I may have missed. And now I pass it on to you. Go, read it, and tell me what you think about it!

And in other exciting news, Ms. Czerneda has announced that she is writing a sequel to this book, so I'm looking forward to seeing where she takes the story.

That's all for now. Go find an adventure!

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment